Sunday, March 14, 2010

Homemade Laundry Detergent

We are now going on our second month of using our homemade laundry soap... we are liking the way it cleans and brightens, the way it smells and the fact that it is only about .05 a load makes it over the top wonderful!
-Brenda

Laundry Detergent (Liquid)
Ingredients:
1 bar Fels Naptha Soap
1 cup Borax (in the green box)
1 cup Arm & Hammer Washing Soda (Yellow box)

Instructions:
Grate Fels Naptha Soap into pot of hot water on stove top (5ish cups of water). Stir until Fels Naptha soap is dissolved. Pour hot liquid into 5 gallon bucket. Add more hot water to fill half way. Add Washing Soda and stir until dissolved. Add Borax and stir again until dissolved. Top off bucket with water and stir again. Put a lid on the bucket and let it sit overnight. It will be thin and runny. Don't panic. Next morning: Open bucket and stir coagulated mixture. Break up the big white clumps of detergent. Use 1/2 cup per load. Great for high efficiency washing machines because it is low sudsing.

Laundry Detergent (Dry)
Grate 1 bar Fels Naptha Soap into 2 cups Borax and 2 cups Arm & Hammer Washing Soda. Store mixture DRY. Use 2 Tbs per load.


2 comments:

bsurrounded said...

Brenda, I made my second batch of the dry laundry soap this weekend. I really like it too. Sometimes when I walk by the laundry room I get a whiff of it and it smells so fresh. I love the low cost and I have extras of the ingredients in my storage so that I have my years supply too. I hope some of your others readers will give it a try. My understanding is that it will work with the high efficiency washers too because it is low sudsing. Thanks for the post. Love ya, Vicki

Becky said...

I'm going to try this!! I love ideas where I can save money. How cool to make your own laundry detergent. Our newspaper has a site called "Frugal Focus" You ought to start one yourself! Love you sis...I'm home!!