Ashlee looks beautiful in fall colors... it really is her time of year! Tonight she made a yummy Caramel Glazed Apple Cake for dessert... perfect for fall time. It will definitely be added to our family cookbook!
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 cups vegetable oil (you can substitute half with 3/4 cup applesauce)
3 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp salt
5 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, cut in 1/2 pieces
1 cup chopped pecans (optional)
2 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
4 tbs butter
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup light brown sugar
Pinch of salt
1/2 cup heavy cream
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Butter and flour a 9x13 pan.
2. To prepare the cake, beat both sugars and oil in a mixing bowl until very well blended. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each. Sift together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Gradually add to egg mixture, mixing until just blended. Stir in apples, pecans and vanilla; pour into pan.
3. Bake or 50-75 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Let cool in pan while preparing glaze.
4. To prepare the glaze, melt butter in saucepan over low heat. Stir in both sugars and salt. Cook over medium-low heat for 2 minutes. Add cream and boil for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
5. Poke holes in cake. Pour on glaze. Serve warm or at room temperature. Top with whipped cream or ice cream. Lightly dust with cinnamon. Serves 16. Heavenly dessert!