Sunday, June 21, 2009

Father's Day

Today is Father's Day and it's filled with a lot of mixed emotions, mostly thankfulness that I somehow ended up with Larry and we have grown together so well. Though life has been filled with plenty of ups and downs, we know how blessed we have been. Parenting has been our greatest joy in life. We started Larry's day with a homemade breakfast and ended it with grilled steak and homemade hot fudge sundaes, and a little nap in between. We also went and visited Larry's parents. It's a good day to celebrate and remember the men in our lives... they are loved and very much needed.

I was looking at Father's Day cards yesterday at Target and must have been in some kind of shopping funk. I got caught up in my own world of reading the sentiments and found myself picking out cards for both of my Dads too. Then I had an 'oh yeah' moment with tears as I realize what I just did and put them back. Why am I still surprised they are gone? It never seems to get easier, I miss them both more now than ever before.
-Brenda

Larry with the kids on Father's Day: Paul & Ashlee,
Katie, Ransom & Conrad, Lindsey, Kelsie & Abby

The girls even surprised their Dad with a song

Larry and his Dad Joe

Me and my Dad, Ted in 2001, the year he passed away

Me & my Step Dad, Lee in 2004, the year he passed away

5 comments:

Mackey Family said...

Brenda, that is a great picure with your dad. You can truly see the love you and have for him.

Chocolates for Breakfast said...

oh, those pictures are beautiful...they made me cry! And i don't think that was weird at all...I still go to call my Dad every Sunday night...sundays just seems to be missing something now! It was my first father's Day without him and kind of hard...oh well, one down, 50 more to go! Guess it would be bad if we didn't feel anything?! Love ya!

bulkleybunch said...

the pics made me cry too. that pic of you and your dad is awesome. i'm sorry you're missing them. life is stinkin' hard sometimes. i love you.

Becky said...

Happy Father's day to Larry. He is blessed indeed. Thanks for the pictures Brenda :) I woke Scott up with a healthy currant, blueberry shake. We went to church where they honored all the fathers and then we came home to a nice home grown chicken dinner.

Catherine Schulthies said...

The photo of you with your step dad reminds me of my dad. So I shed a few tears sitting here missing him. My dad usually wore a plaid shirt like that. My dad died in 1991 almost 6 months before Ben was born. I miss him a lot!