Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Just Say No

In my first step of finding balance in my life I am going to give up my unbalanced viewing of the news. I have gotten into the habit of watching FOX (my personal favorite), then I move on to CNN and MSNBC... afterall, I want to make sure I get a clear picture of what is going on in this world of ours. I can see how manipulative the media is as they report the news... each channel is so different. I find it all so fascinating and end up staying awake far too late, vowing to go to bed earlier the next night. I feel like I am stuck in a pit of despair.

I am finally learning that watching the news excessively sucks away any positive thoughts I may have and it is time I will never get back. I also have to admit that I am now cynical because I don't trust our government to make wise choices, they haven't shown me they are able to. It is maddening. There are better ways to spend my time.

I do believe there are still honest people and good things happening in our world and that is where I will put my focus. My time is much better spent with my loved ones or working on projects that I have more control over. Yes I will keep my ears open to the news, pray and continue to have my opinions, but I will do my best not to let it control my life or my thoughts to the extent it is... beginning today I will just say NO.
-Brenda

3 comments:

Mower Family said...

I wish I was as strong as you! I can't stop. I stay awake till 2am most nights trying to see what is really going on right now in our government. It would be nice to have a nonpartisan media format to watch. Cut out all of the bias and let me make up my own mind. I have been trying NPR lately, and it is not unbiased either. I may just have to stop trying.

susan said...

Brenda, you are the most life-loving creature in the world. You totally enjoy,love,admire and feed all the wonderful people in your world. You are genuine and real! Whatever your news-watching habits may be, keep it up, because you are wonderful just the way you are!

Becky said...

I love you and get tickled when you write "I'm going to find a balance." You've been trying to do that for...well as long as I've known you:) How is it working this time? Have you thought about reading the newspaper and turning the TV off?