Thursday, March 12, 2009

The MTC

I went to the Missionary Training Center in Provo yesterday morning to take pictures for the Cosgrove family and was delighted to also see the Christensen family there. Both daughters went into the MTC on the same day.

Missionary 101:
Missionary work is purely voluntary. A prospective missionary will send in their papers to the church office in SLC, Utah and receive an inspired mission call to a specific place throughout the world. They live at the MTC to study the LDS religion & learn a language if needed (3 wks to 3 months). They do not see their families while they are on their missions. They can call home on Christmas & Mother's Day. No TV, cell phones, computers, Ipods or dating. They are placed in groups of two called 'companions'. They teach, serve and learn to love the people in their area. Young men 'Elders', 19+ years old, go for 2 years. Young women 'Sisters', 21+ years old, go for 18 months. Older folks are also invited to serve as senior missionaries, single or with spouses. Keep your eyes open for them and talk with them... feed them a home cooked meal if possible, they would like that! If you have more questions, just ask away and I will do my best to answer them.

I have never been to the MTC before and found myself completely caught off guard by everything I felt & saw. I got there about 30 minutes earlier and as I waited, I was amazed by the spirit of love there. You could feel the Lord's work moving forward as waves of families showed up with their missionary. You could feel the sacrifices being made as personal lives are set aside for two years to do the Lord's work and I think to myself, we are a peculiar people.

I imagined what it would be like to send a child on a mission and the faith needed to let go and know all will be well. I wonder if I have that in me. But I see all the good things that a mission can do to lay a good foundation in life and the strength it gives a young person and believe it's one of the best choices they can make.

There were families of all types there... Some missionaries / families seemed to have the best of everything. Others, clearly sacrificed everything to get their missionary there. They were the ones that stole my heart. I could hear Moms in the background asking "Did you pack your heavy coat?" "Do you have all your papers?" and I smiled... I would be the same way. I will remember this day and I am so glad I was able to go :)
-Brenda

Sister Courtney Cosgrove, Caitlyn, Carli & Cade Cosgrove

Jeannie, Val & Sister Jillian Christensen

1 comment:

Becky said...

I know you going to the MTC and taking pictures meant a lot to these families. I know we differ in beliefs, but our love for the Lord is the same.