Monday, July 27, 2009

Salsa Showdown

I headed to Pebbles Monday morning with my fresh salsa recipe in hand... ready to kick Maria's salsa to the curb. I won hands down and got all the votes. Everyone chose mine, only because Maria wasn't able to come into work today and mine was the only choice... but a win is a win and our tummies are happy today and perhaps a little gassy. We did after all, eat nearly a gallon of fresh salsa and believe the onions will be staying with us for quite some time. I will take her on another day :)

My Fresh Salsa
1 lg or two small yellow onions
2 anaheim chiles (remove all seeds if you want it mild)
2 green peppers
2 cans chopped green chili peppers, mild (add in at the end, do not blend up)
20 ripe roma tomatoes or 2 lg cans of tomatoes (if not tomato season)
1/2 cup-ish apple cider vinegar
small sprinkling of salt and pepper
larger sprinkling of garlic powder
1 tbs sugar

I make it in our Vitamix blender in two batches. In each batch I make sure I add half the tomatoes first and then half the other stuff. I pulse it until it's the consistency we like. My family likes smaller chunks. Refridgerate. It takes 5 minutes to make and even less time to eat it all gone :)
-Brenda

1 comment:

Becky said...

My first question was when did you have time to make a gallon of fresh salsa with a weekend of family reunion? You're amazing. Yes, you have a great recipe of salsa...no contest there, even if Maria did come in to work :)