Thursday, January 1, 2009

New Years Day 2009

We slept in late and spent the day being pulled behind the snowmobiles on the trails and fields. Every time we crashed I was thinking Ugh! This is craziness! But somehow we love it and continued on. Tomorrow the aches will come. Anyone who sleds knows how hard it is on your back. This time, we put the folding stadium chairs in the sleds and they were so comfortable. In fact, so much that we deemed them a gift from God. Why we have never thought to use them before is amazing to me. Abby got a tummy ache and we went home early and she slept.

Resolutions will have to wait until later in the day. I used to make all the basic goals: Personal & family prayers, personal & family scripture reading, do something memorable with Larry & each child daily, make time to ponder, go on a date with Larry once a week, look for ways to serve others everyday, write in my journal, make good dinners, think before I speak, look at myself in the mirror before I leave the house, monthly temple, FHE, finish up projects, exercise and of course lose weight. By noon on the first day of the new year I felt the burden of failure. This past year I only made one resolution and that was to lower my bar. This may sound like a lowly goal, but I accomplished it and felt happier. I think my family was happier too. This doesn't mean that I don't do the things mentioned above, I just do the best I can, however imperfect. Lowering my bar in some areas, allowed me to raise it in more important areas. If I look at everything together, I get way overwhelmed and then everything gets motorized as I check them off my list. I lose the spirit of why I am doing them and I don't think that's what life is about. This year I am going to pick another one and build upon my success of last year. It's all about baby steps and the direction we are headed :)
-Brenda

Click here for photos

1 comment:

Becky said...

Fun way to bring in the new year and I enjoyed all the photos! Sure looks cold there, but everyone is bundled up so warm. Brenda you are right about making so many resolutions...throw them all out the door. Yes, simplicity is good...now put it in practice, even more, in 2009!